Everything we do has an impact on the environment, but maintaining a clean home is important. Here are some tips to help be a “greener” cleaner:
- Use natural cleaners as much as possible – products like vinegar, lemon juice and baking soda go a long way to remove odors, lift stains and clean without scratching surfaces.
- Look for products that use natural ingredients to remove odors. For example, ARM & HAMMER® baking soda is used in a number of environmentally friendlier vacuum bags and filters.
- Instead of using paper towels to clean glass surfaces, try newspaper. It’s made from recycled materials, you can recycle it again, and it won’t leave streaks.
- Mineral oil is a great way to shine wood without using harsh chemicals.
- Use old clothing as rags. This is a great way to repurpose something and then use it again and again. Be sure to wash with cold water to save the washing machine some energy!
- White vinegar is a good natural disinfectant.
- Cornstarch mixed with water removes grease.
Eureka also offers these energy-efficient vacuuming tips to streamline your cleaning routine:
- Clear the Way – Avoid letting the vacuum run while you move furniture and other objects from the cleaning path. Before you turn on the vacuum, move larger furniture and decorative items; remove toys, shoes and other objects from the floor; and unwind the electric cord as much as you need. Finally, attach and fit special tools – such as the exclusive Power Paw™ with Riser Visor™ power brush – while the vacuum is off.
- Have a Cleaning Plan – Concentrate on one room at a time so you don’t have to go back and forth between rooms. Once you start, clean from top to bottom, starting with ceiling fans and window treatments, so that dust falls to the floor. This will reduce the number of times you need to pass with the vacuum. Finally, concentrate on those hard-to-reach areas around the perimeter of a room before tackling the center of the floor.
- Maintenance Magic – Maintain your vacuum’s filters and belts, and empty the dust cup or change the bag to ensure maximum air flow. The vacuum will operate more efficiently and require less energy to pick up dirt and particles.